The Chronicles of Narnia, outside of the Last Battle, never quite sacrifices its plot for religious didacticism. Despite my own atheism, I adore the Narnia series as one of the most important pieces of my childhood. Out of the Silent Planet is, unfortunately, more on par with the Last Battle than with the rest of the Narnia series: Its plot nonexistent next to its dated, shallow, stupid, and hateful didacticism.
a series of 12 novellas
During the peak of the ’90s Goosebumps craze, LucasFilm contracted John Whitman, then an editor for HighBridge Audio, to tap into this rich market with a six-part series of Star Wars-themed horror novellas. Whitman’s work on adapting countless classic Star Wars stories into audio dramas, complete with John Williams’ scores, sound effects, and multiple actors, was counted as a boon for the YA market, where the audio-drama format would have contributed to framing quick, punchy stories full of action and suspense.
The result was Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear, a quirky combination of classic Star Wars tropes ‘n’ cameos, original characters that can best be described as Saturday Morning Cartoons,* and untethered gore. Six books turned into 12, and the series lasted with modest (but decreasing) success through 1998 when John Whitman and LucasFilm both decided to move on.
a series of 62 novellas, #s 51 to 62
- 51. Beware, the Snowman
- 52. How I Learned to Fly
- 53. Chicken, Chicken
- 54. Don’t Go to Sleep!
- 55. The Blob That Ate Everyone
- 56. The Curse of Camp Cold Lake
- 57. My Best Friend is Invisible
- 58. Deep Trouble II
- 59. The Haunted School
- 60. Werewolf Skin
- 61. I Live in Your Basement!
- 62. Monster Blood IV
a series of 62 novellas, #s 41 to 50
- 41. Bad Hare Day
- 42. Egg Monsters from Mars
- 43. The Beast from the East
- 44. Say Cheese and Die — Again!
- 45. Ghost Camp
- 46. How to Kill a Monster
- 47. Legend of the Lost Legend
- 48. Attack of the Jack-O’-Lanterns
- 49. Vampire Breath
- 50. Calling All Creeps!
a series of 62 novellas, #s 31 to 40
- 31. Night of the Living Dummy II
- 32. The Barking Ghost
- 33. The Horror at Camp Jellyjam
- 34. Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes
- 35. A Shocker on Shock Street
- 36. The Haunted Mask II
- 37. The Headless Ghost
- 38. The Abominable Snowman of Pasadena
- 39. How I Got My Shrunken Head
- 40. Night of the Living Dummy III
a series of 62 novellas, #s 21 to 30
- 21. Go Eat Worms!
- 22. Ghost Beach
- 23. Return of the Mummy
- 24. Phantom of the Auditorium
- 25. Attack of the Mutant
- 26. My Hairiest Adventure
- 27. A Night in Terror Tower
- 28. The Cuckoo Clock of Doom
- 29. Monster Blood III
- 30. It Came from Beneath the Sink!
a series of 62 novellas, #s 11 to 20
- 11. The Haunted Mask
- 12. Be Careful What You Wish For…
- 13. Piano Lessons Can Be Murder
- 14. The Werewolf of Fever Swamp
- 15. You Can’t Scare Me!
- 16. One Day at HorrorLand
- 17. Why I’m Afraid of Bees
- 18. Monster Blood II
- 19. Deep Trouble
- 20. The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight